Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Simple Tradition To Last A Lifetime


Chocolate pudding is that special meal that reminds me of my birthday. To many people it is not considered a meal but more of a dessert or a side dish but in my mind it was considered breakfast. Since I was six years old I would wake up on January 17th every year to a crystal dish filled with chocolate pudding with a dollop of whip cream on top. This was the meal that my mother would serve me every year for my birthday.
            Since I can remember I would get the feeling of excitement when I would of walk down the stairs and hanging a sharp left at the bottom to walk through the dining room and into the kitchen on my birthday. The long tacky “happy birthday” sign written in metallic alternating colored letters hung in between the archway with balloons attached to my dad’s chair at the head of the table. Presents would be strayed across the kitchen table and my mom would always be standing there with her camera ready to take the same exact picture every year of me looking ecstatic on my birthday. I would sit down in my chair with the giant crystal bowl staring me back in the face with the silver spoon right next to it. My mouth would salivate to the thought of taking the huge first bite and before I could I would always think about the conversation my mother and I had when I was in the first grade.
            My mom always loved to make birthdays special whether it was throwing you your favorite party or serving you your special meal, she always went the extra mile to make it your day. For my brother she would make him homemade cheesecake every year. For my dad it was strawberry rhubarb, which he loved even if he acted like he didn’t totally appreciate it. But when my mother asked me what I wanted for my special meal when I was in the first grade my instant response was “a big bowl of chocolate pudding!” My mom never bought food that was super junky or full of preservatives but I had been on a chocolate pudding kick that week from having it at a play date and she agreed that I could have it. Now being twenty years old having a big pile of brown sugary greatness has become a tradition on my birthday.
            Every year until I graduated high school I could always expect it to look the same and taste the same considering the fact that it came from the small instant JELLO cardboard boxes. I was always a simple kid so I never wanted my mom to go through making homemade pudding for me when I knew that I would always like the kind from the box better anyway, and trust me she never took that for granted. But as my senior year of high school rolled around that morning when I turned eighteen I realized that it would be my last birthday at home for the next four years. I found comfort in knowing that I could expect the same decorations from last year and the same crystal bowl waiting for me as I came down the stairs. So knowing that the next year I would probably wake up to a voice mail from my mom wishing me a happy birthday and that she wished she could be there to make me pudding made me sad a little. But I did not let this sentimental thought take away from my last birthday at home in the slightest bit, and I should have known that when it came to my mother I should never worry about being disappointed.
            January of my freshman year rolled around and so did my birthday. Knowing that things were different and that I wasn’t about to run down the stairs and into the kitchen like I would at home, I felt out of place. But I should have had more faith in my mother and her kindness. I opened my bedroom door at the sorority house and walked down the front stair case which led to the kitchen. I turned the corner to find my best friend sitting at the large table in the dining room with a bowl of chocolate pudding. I instantly felt tears filling up in my eyes as I tried so desperately to not let them fall. I sat down at the table with my best friend Olivia who was from my hometown who knew about my birthday tradition. Olivia had called my mom to make sure that she got the right kind of chocolate pudding to make sure that I would have the best birthday.  She knew that it was something that meant a lot to me and she wasn’t going to let the fact that I was away from my mom stand in the way of me having my special meal on my birthday.
Something as simple as chocolate pudding on my birthday can make me smile from ear to ear. The memories that the instant four minute dessert has brought me over the years would be something I would remember for a lifetime. And even when I went through a life changing experience by going off to college this tradition on my birthday made me feel like I was sitting at home staring at the tacky decorations and the presents covering the kitchen table. That moment when I took the first bite that day brought me back to sitting down at the table with my mom while I would eat every last bit of the creamy mouthwatering treat out of the crystal bowl. Not only was chocolate pudding one of the simpler aspects of my life it was one that would last a life time and carry so much meaning along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment