Monday, April 23, 2012

The Night I Met Charlie Bob


I had never experienced a night quite like this one. As my parents were in town visiting and my dad wanted to go out to dinner with one of his old friends that lived in Tuscaloosa that he knew from high school. I already felt the feeling of extreme warmth flowing through my body just being in the presence of my parents but I would soon feel more at home then I had ever felt in my entire life.
            I pulled open the heavy door to DePalma’s and stepped through the entrance into the dark restaurant. Right as I walked in I was greeted by a man in a wheel chair. A smile that could have stretched for miles, a body that seemed frail and weak but a personality that could have lit up a room. I looked him in the eyes through his glasses as I introduced myself and shook his left hand. “Hello sweetheart, I’m Charlie Bob your dad’s friend from high school,” he replied. He whipped around his wheelchair and signaled to the hostess that we were ready for our table now. She instantly led us to a table that was accommodating for Charlie Bob and his wheelchair and no longer than a second after sitting down a blonde older woman walked over to our table. She seemed excited to see him and asked why they hadn’t gotten lunch in a while. I started to get the vibe that I was sitting at a table with someone that came here often and knew almost everyone in Tuscaloosa.
             As Charlie Bob insisted I order anything on the menu, I did not back down from the offer. I had a favorite meal at DePalmas that always tasted just as great every time I had it. I ordered the Spinach Fettuccini Alfredo with Grilled Chicken on top. This was almost my ultimate comfort food. It was consistent in taste, and the warm full feeling you get when you eat something heavy is exactly what I got when I ate the creamy alfredo sauce. As we sat and waited for our food the conversation never died down. Charlie Bob had stories that could go on forever and the laughter never stopped. There was something about his character that drew me in to wanting to know more. And as I had the impression the he was someone that everyone knew and loved, that idea kept growing as the night went on. Every ten minutes or so I would say, someone that was walking to leave the restaurant would spot Charlie Bob and stop at our table. Everyone just as excited as the last person to see his smile and to tell him that they had to get together soon. This not only showed me why my dad liked him so much but also why Tuscaloosa is a close knit community. Learning about Charlie Bob’s life living in Tuscaloosa being born and raised he also gave me the history of the building that DePalma’s was in. From the time he can remember DePalma’s was first a bank and then it was a women’s clothing store. He told me how he remembered having to go to this clothing store with his mother and two older sisters and sitting there for hours just itching to leave. “And then Depalma’s came in,” he said with excitement in his eyes. “I didn’t have to go to the women’s clothing store anymore and wish that it would go up in flames, but I could eat a nice meal in a family environment with people I loved.” Hearing those words come out of his mouth brought a smile to my face. Something about being able to sit in this restaurant that I call one of my favorites in town with my parents and a man that is so loved by the community made me feel very blessed.
            That night not only did I feel the great family atmosphere in the air due to the people I was with but also because of the environment in the restaurant. The close tables and hundreds of wine bottles surrounding the perimeter of the room give it a unique feel. The sound of the fresh veal being pounded in the background and the subtle noise from the other conversations going on around us gave it a homey feel. This is one place in town that I can go to and expect the same environment and food every time, and I take comfort in knowing that.
            As the night when on I learned more and more about Charlie Bob and his life and it was something that will probably change my life forever. He informed me that when he was twenty five he was hit by a drunk driver.  The drunk driver hit him on the driver side of his car and the crash broke his neck which ended up paralyzing him for the rest of his life. Even though he is paralyzed though, speaking with him and getting to know him throughout the night I didn’t even really notice it. His amazing personality and warming heart took over his body and made it seem like nothing was wrong with him. Every person that walked by us that night after having a great meal greeted Charlie Bob and showed him that they were there for him.
            That night was one the I would always remember. Not because my parents were here, or because we had a great meal together, but because I got to meet one of the most influential people in my life and he showed me what it meant to make great relationships with people to last a life time. I think that if I had been in another restaurant though the feelings and the atmosphere would have been different. Because I was in a place that I was comfortable in and loved the food, I think it made that night something special for me. Now I will always love going to Depalmas and I will always remember the night I met Charlie Bob.


No comments:

Post a Comment